AAS Call for Proposals

Expand all | Collapse all

Panel on Genocide and Cultural Genocide Perpetrated by Imperial Japan (1850-1945) at the AAS Conference 2024

• 1.  Panel on Genocide and Cultural Genocide Perpetrated by Imperial Japan (1850-1945) at the AAS Conference 2024

Posted 07-05-2023 03:48 AM
    Edited by Anthony Sudol 07-05-2023 07:09 AM

Hello Asian Studies Collogues.

I am Anthony Sudol, an MA Japanese Studies student with SOAS University of London.
    My research interests are Crimes against humanity perpetrated by Imperial Japan, with a particular focus on actions involving Korea. I'm also interested in memory studies. My dissertation focuses on acts of Genocide and Cultural Genocide perpetrated by Imperial Japan during the Annexation of Korea (1910-1945).

I am proposing a panel focusing on the topic of Genocide and Cultural Genocide perpetrated by Imperial Japan between approximately 1850 and 1945 (although these dates are not rigid). This panel aims to shed light on the intricacies of these acts, including the examination of individual acts, events, policies, and the complex dynamics of resistance, defiance, rebellion, and/or co-operation exhibited by affected populations during these turbulent times.
    The panel seeks to foster an academically rigorous exploration of the multifaceted dimensions of Genocide and Cultural Genocide during the period of Imperial Japan's presence. I encourage scholars from diverse disciplinary backgrounds, including history, anthropology, cultural studies, and memory studies, to contribute their expertise and insights.

Topics of interest may include, but are not limited to:

• Examination of specific acts and events of Genocide and Cultural Genocide perpetrated by Imperial Japan

• Analysis of policies and strategies employed by Imperial Japan to carry out these acts

• Resistance, defiance, rebellion and/or co-operation by affected populations and their impact on shaping the outcomes

• Memory studies and the commemoration of Genocide and Cultural Genocide in the post-colonial context

• Comparative approaches that explore connections between Genocide and Cultural Genocide in Korea and other regions influenced and/or occupied by Imperial Japan

If you are interested in collaborating on this panel or have research that aligns with its theme, please reach out to me, either by replying to this post, or via email:

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Anthony Sudol 

------------------------------
    Anthony Sudol
    703125@soas.ac.uk

• 2.  RE: Panel on Genocide and Cultural Genocide Perpetrated by Imperial Japan (1850-1945) at the AAS Conference 2024

Posted 07-10-2023 04:58 AM

Hi Anthony,

I sent an email to your 703125@soas.ac.uk address. Have you received that? Can you contact me to discuss the panel and the topic?

My address is J.wang-172@sms.ed.ac.uk

JING WANG
    University of Edinburgh
    j.wang-172@sms.ed.ac.uk